Troubleshooting Your Programmable Thermostat
Although it’s rare, a programmable thermostat can malfunction, making it difficult to regulate your indoor temperatures. If your programmable thermostat stops working, try these tips to restore it. It’s worth getting it operational quickly, since these devices save energy dollars while helping you to manage temperatures in your Orange Park, Florida, home.
- If there is no heat, make sure that the thermostat is not set to the “cool” option. There could also be a problem with the furnace or pilot light.
- Check the seal of the face plate of the thermostat. Sometimes if it’s even slightly dislodged, information won’t show on the display. Make sure it is secure, and the display should reappear.
- Some programmable thermostats use batteries instead of being hard-wired into the HVAC or electrical system. Not all battery-operated thermostats have low battery check lights, so if yours is malfunctioning, regardless of the light’s status, try replacing the existing batteries with new ones.
- Thermostats also have fuses inside that you can check in the event fresh batteries don’t get it started and the circuit breaker for the HVAC system hasn’t tripped. If you see damage to the fuse, remove it and take it to a hardware store, choosing an exact match to replace it.
- Connections within the thermostat could have also come loose.
- It is also likely that the problem lies with the HVAC system, and not the thermostat. Your HVAC contractor will be able to accurately determine the problem.
You can handle tasks such as replacing the batteries. However, many of the problems that could develop require the help of a professional. Your HVAC technician will have the skills and the tools needed to repair delicate parts. If you attempt to troubleshoot internal components, you could inadvertently damage the system.
The technicians at Mike Merritt Heating & Air Conditioning are experienced in the installation and repair of a variety of thermostats. Call us today at 904-240-4038 for efective HVAC solutions that keep your heating and cooling systems performing effectively and efficiently.