Repair or Replace Your Furnace?
It can be frustrating to pay to repair a furnace, especially when it seems like it is getting to be a more expensive and frequent occurrence. When it gets to that point, most homeowners in Jacksonville Beach, FL must consider whether they should replace their furnace instead. At Mike Merritt Heating & Air Conditioning, we understand this is not an easy decision to make. Even though you may be tired of repair bills, you may not be ready to invest in new equipment. Finances aside, here are some questions for you to consider as you make this decision:
- How old is your furnace? If it was built or installed prior to 2000, both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the federal Energy Star program recommend replacing it. While furnaces built since that time must be at least 78 percent efficient, older units can be 60 percent efficient or less. The easiest way to determine efficiency is to look at the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) of the unit. This percentage lets you know how much available fuel the furnace uses as opposed to how much escapes your home through the chimney or another means. Most furnaces today are at least 90 percent efficient.
- Do you notice a difference in temperature consistency in your home? If some rooms are too warm and others are not warm enough, it is usually due to an inefficient HVAC system or ductwork problems. It could also be caused by not having enough insulation in your attic and walls.
- Are your energy bills increasing monthly, even when you make a conscience effort to conserve energy? This problem, coupled with frequency of repairs, points to a furnace that needs to be replaced.
- Is your heating system too noisy? This is usually caused by a problem with the coils or an undersized duct system. You can improve efficiency and comfort by upgrading to a furnace that has been properly sized for your home.
- Do you notice dust coming from your air vents when you turn on your furnace or is your home too humid? If so, leaky ductwork or an aged furnace is usually the reason.
We Help to Make Your Purchase Affordable
The decision to purchase a new furnace is a major one for most Jacksonville Beach, FL homeowners. Should you decide to go ahead with it, Mike Merritt Heating & Air Conditioning offers several options to help make it easier to pay for the added expense. We encourage you to frequently check the specials page on our website to see if we are offering a discount on new installation. We also offer deferred interest financing for customers who don’t want to tie up their credit line on a major credit card. Although interest accrues from the date your new account is approved, it is all waived if you pay your balance in full before the deferral period expires.