AC Compressor Noise: Don’t Take Any Chances
AC compressor noise during operations can be due to a wide variety of causes. Although low noise may occur from time to time, constant excessive noise during operations should not be ignored. It’s a definite warning sign that something is not right, and ignoring this warning sign can result in a system breakdown with a costly HVAC repair or complete replacement. Either way, it’s not worth taking any chances. By calling a professional HVAC technician, you can address the problem quickly and avoid further damage to the compressor.
Common Causes of AC Compressor Noise
The causes of compressor noise range from small to large issues with the system. Here’s a list of some common causes of AC compressor problems:
- Loose Components: Often, a clamp, cooler, pulley or belt guard may just be loose. Usually, tightening these components will eliminate the noise.
- Lack of Oil: There may be a lack of oil in the crankcase that is causing excessive noise. In this case, it’s important to replenish the oil level and check for possible damage to the bearings.
- Piston: If the piston is hitting the valve plate, it will definitely cause noise. A technician will have to remove the cylinder head and check for debris on the piston. Typically, a new gasket will have to be installed.
- Loose Floor Mounting: To repair a loose floor mounting, the bolts will have to be tightened. There may also be a need to replace the vibration pads.
- Defective Crankcase: In this case, the crankcase will either have to be repaired or replaced.
- Excessive Play: If there is too much crank and play, adjusting or shimming the crankcase usually fixes the problem.
- Loading Problems: A knocking noise can occur when the compressor is loading. Rods may have to be replaced or tightened, or the piston assembly may need to be replaced.
HVAC Repair at Mike Merritt Heating & Air Conditioning
If your compressor is making noise in Orange Park, FL, be sure to give Mike Merritt Heating & Air Conditioning a call. We’re the heating and cooling specialists that offer top-notch repairs by skilled technicians and competitive prices. All of our technicians are trained on an ongoing basis and come equipped with the skills and advanced tools to get the job done right the first time around. In addition, all of our HVAC repair work is 100 percent guaranteed. Customers can take advantage of our Internet coupons for savings. Be sure to check out our website for the current specials. We also offer a gold plan, where customers can eliminate labor costs on a repair visit. These affordable plans also come with two service visits per year. If you’re in the market for a new HVAC system, you’ll find that we offer a wide selection of leading brands for central air systems and heat pumps, including Carrier brand products. We are proud to be a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer – only 5% of HVAC dealers nationwide are included in this program.
If you’re uncertain about what new HVAC system to install, please give us a call for a free in-home evaluation and estimate. We’ll help you select the best unit for your unique needs.